What am I responsible for?
The Landlord must:
- Keep the exterior of the building (e.g. roof, walls, doors, windows, paths) in good repair [although this could be the responsibility of a block management company].
- Keep the interior of the building (e.g. ceilings, doors, floors) in good repair.
- Ensure supplies of gas, water and electricity are in good working order.
- Maintain kitchen and bathroom equipment and drainage.
- Maintain shared areas like entrances and stairways [although this could be the responsibility of a block management company].
We expect you to:
- Treat your home with care. Remember, you may be charged for repairs or damage that do not count as fair wear and tear.
- Report repair problems to us as soon as possible. You may be charged where there is increased damage to the property as a consequence of your failure to report a repair problem quickly.
- Replace minor items like tap washers, light bulbs, toilet seats, shower heads and hoses.
- For further guidance refer to the checklist below which tells you who is responsible for the most commonly reported repairs.
|WHO IS RESPONSIBLE|
|Accidental or malicios damage||x|
|Adjusting doors for carpets||x|
|Batteries in smoke detectors||x||Except in communal areas|
|Blockage to siks, baths and wash hand basins||x|
|Communal areas to flats||x|
|Condensation||x||Unless due to a building fault|
|Cookers||x||Unless installed by landlord|
|Damage due to forced entry by police||x|
|Decorating - external||x||Where tenant has been given authority to decorate|
|Decorating - internal||x||Where tenant has been given authority to decorate|
|Electrical wiring and fixtures||x|
|Gardening and trees||x|
|Gas central heating||x|
|Glazing - crime number required||x|
|Guttering and downpipes||x|
|Hats and coat rails||x|
|Hot water cylinder Jackets||x|
|Light bulbs, tubes and starters||x|
|Locks to doors and windows||x|
|Pest control||x||Unless due to a repair failure|
|Plaster||x||Except minor cracks|
|Plugs and chains to sinks, baths and wash hand basins||x|
|Shower heads and hoses||x|
|Tenants own fixtures and fittings||x|
|Toilet pans and cisterns||x|
|TV aerials or satellite dishes||x||Except communal aerials|
Repairs we will charge for: You may request LENWELL to attend to work for which you are liable, however in such a case LENWELL will look to you for payment in advance. In certain instances, work may be done for your account and the invoice deducted from your rent payments, putting your rent account into arrears. By producing a set scale of charges we hope to avoid any disagreement or confusion when you receive your bill (see table of examples below).
|Gaining access if you are locked out||In Normal Hours||In Outside Hours|
|Replacing a lock on any door or garage||£38||£92|
|Gaining access and renewing lock to any door or garage||£38||£92|
|Clearing blockage or replacing any waste pipe||£54||£108|
|Repairing leak created by you or one of your visitors||£54||£108|
|Clearing blockages in toilets created by objects which shouldn't be put down the toilet||£38||£92|
|Making safe and replacing broken glass (up to 0.5 square metres in size) - if negligently broken||£108||£163|
|Making safe and replacing broken glass (up to 1.0 square metres in size) - if negligently broken||£119||£173|
|Making safe and replacing broken glass (over 1.0 square metres in size) - if negligently broken||£173||£227|
|Replacing switch, light fitting or socket installed or broken by you or one of your visitors||£38||£92|
|Adjusting gas controls, bleeding radiators or rectifying any gas problem created by you or one of your visitors||£38||£92|
|Prices include VAT and materials.||£25||£25|
|Normal opening hours are: Monday - Friday 10.00 am - 5.30 pm|
|Outside hours are: Monday - Friday 5.30 pm – 9.15 am|
|Weekends & bank holidays: Anytime|