Being Safe With Gas
If you think that you have a gas leak, can smell gas, or think that you or any of your family are suffering ill effects caused by fumes from a gas appliance, you should take the following actions:
Smell of gas
- Call Transco immediately on 0800 111 999
- Turn off all gas appliances
- Turn off the gas supply at the meter
- Open windows and doors to ventilate property
- Put out any cigarettes; don’t use any naked flames (lighters/matches).
- Do not use any electrical switches or doorbells, mobile phones etc .
If your CO alarm sounds
- Some properties have CO (carbon monoxide) detectors installed for your safety. If the detector sounds carry out the same safety procedures for a gas leak detailed above, or the instructions located with the alarm
If someone has CO poisoning
- Someone suffering from the effects of CO will have flu like symptoms of feeling light headed, severe headaches, nausea, dizziness, lethargy, general body weakness, unconsciousness. If you suspect this, take the sufferer outside to fresh air immediately. Keep them at rest and avoid exertion until help arrives. Call an ambulance immediately on 999.
If you think your gas boiler needs servicing
- The landlord is legally obliged to have a safety check carried out to your gas appliances every 12 months.
- A Gas Contractor from the Landlord or LENWELL will contact you when this is due and arrange to carry out a full service of your appliances.
- It is essential that you allow our contractors access to carry out this important work.